Sunday, June 5, 2016

When Does Bankruptcy Leave Your Credit Report?

When Does Bankruptcy Leave Your Credit Report?


Someone asked me how long bankruptcy would continue to show on their credit report today, so I thought I’d post the answer here, so others can see it as well. Bankruptcy leaves your credit report after 10 years. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t get credit before then.

As a matter of fact, you may even start getting credit offers right after your bankruptcy discharge. This is because creditors know you can’t file bankruptcy again for at least eight years. I guess they figure they’re safe. However, in my experience, most of the offers I got immediately after discharge came at a very steep price. High-interest credit cards with ridiculous annual fees that got immediately charged to a very low credit line. Thanks, but no thanks.


Debt After Bankruptcy


It was a while before I applied for any kind of credit after my bankruptcy — mostly because I was scared to death to get into debt again. It was great being debt free. Eventually, I did need credit though, and I now have it at a few places. I don’t have nearly (nowhere near) as much debt as I used to, and what I do have I can handle, but I still wish I didn’t have it. Debt sucks. But then, you know that, right?

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the BK coming off my credit report, but I still have two years to go. My credit score is higher now than it was when I filed, but I’m looking forward to having it be very good as it once was so very long ago. Le sigh.

Good luck with your fresh start,

ep

No comments:

Post a Comment