Monday, February 28, 2011

Famous Bankruptcies Who Knew?

We hear about famous bankruptcies all the time. I mean, everyone knows that Donald Trump has filed bankruptcy multiple times. And we always hear about celebrities like Willie Nelson or Kim Basinger filing bankruptcy. We hear about the Teresa Giudice bankruptcy and how Eva Longoria just filed a business bankruptcy of her restaurant. Toni Braxton has filed for bankruptcy due to illness. Edit: Teresa Guidice, one of the real housewives, has also filed with her husband.

But the last president's day got me thinking. I wondered if any presidents have ever filed for bankruptcy.

So have any presidents filed for bankruptcy? ---I really expected the answer to be a big, fat no, but I did some poking around and was really surprised by what I found.

The following presidents have all had a bankruptcy--

Thomas Jefferson (twice), Ulysses S. Grant, William McKinnley and Abraham Lincoln have all taken advantage of bankruptcy protection!

I wish I had had this information when I filed for bankruptcy. I might have felt a bit better of it knowing that a founding father and Honest Abe were once in the same bankruptcy boat as me. After all, misery does love company, and that's pretty good company for misery to love!

Good luck to all,

ep

No comments:

Post a Comment