Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Years Resolutions 2013



New Year's Resolutions 2013

As 2013 draws to a close, the air is thick with year-end vows to lose weight, quit smoking, and get a better job. Other popular 2013 New Year's Resolutions include drinking less, recycling more, and becoming physically fit through exercise, a healthier diet, or both. These are all admirable goals, but most people won't meet them. So, why make a wish list for the New Year that you probably won't fulfill? 

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions. In my experience, they can do more harm than good by the time February rolls around and not a single one of them has been kept. Failure to accomplish your goals coupled with the extra burden just put on yourself after a stressful holiday season can leave you feeling disappointed, inadequate, and more stressed than ever. (Avoiding stress, by the way, is also a popular New Year's resolution - do you see the irony in that?)

But, how are you going to reach your goals, if not through an annual commitment to change? Well, I propose making life resolutions instead of yearly ones. With life resolutions, your goals become easier to achieve, not only because they will always be on your mind, but also because you have given yourself some leeway in reaching them. Rather than having a month or so to prove yourself to yourself, you've got the rest of your life to get it right. Break down larger goals into smaller ones, and celebrate each step forward. This will allow you to gradually and successfully lose weight, wean yourself off of smoking, or start exploring better job opportunities.

Oh, and don't forget to include getting out of debt in your life resolutions, whether that means bankruptcy or not. If you're still in a position where you are able to, start chipping away at that debt or learn about your debt relief options. Even if you aren't going to file bankruptcy, it is a good idea for you to get a free consultation with an attorney, who can help you get a better picture of your financial situation. If you don't know how to go about this, read my tips for choosing the right bankruptcy attorney.

The life resolution I am making is to post more to this blog. Like the debtor who can still afford it, I am going to chip away at my blog. I make myself no promises as far as the timeline. I am not going to guarantee myself that I'll make 15 posts a month. That way, when I make ten posts a month, I'll be free to celebrate the increase of my writings rather than cry over the five that got away.

As you ponder your New Year's Resolutions in 2013, don't be so hard on yourself. You can accomplish your goals…just maybe not all of them in the month of January.

Wishing you a fresh start (whatever that may mean for you) in 2013,

ep




No comments:

Post a Comment